Having problems paying the rent?

What to do if you are in rent arrears or are having difficulties in paying your rent

As a tenant you have an obligation to pay the rent in full when it is due. If you are having difficulties paying your rent or have built up rent arrears, it is important that you don't ignore the matter. It is advisable to inform your landlord at the earliest point possible and try and come up with a solution. It may be possible to negotiate with your landlord to repay the arrears over a period of time. Threshold may be able to help you in these negotiations. If you do negotiate a repayment plan, be realistic about the amount that you can afford to pay each week/month.


Rent Pressure Zones (RPZ)

Topping Up

If you are in receipt of rent supplement and have been topping up to keep your tenancy contact Threshold for further advice and assistance. As part of a number of measures including increasing rent supplement limits announced on 28th June 2016, the Department of Social Protection, have advised that they will look at any informal any arrangements and in most cases may regularise these.

Clarify the amount of arrears

Your landlord must provide you with either  a rent book where rent and other payments should be recorded. This should clearly show how much rent has been paid and how much you may owe. If you pay through the bank this must be recorded either in a rent book or through receipts.

Attempt to negotiate a rent reduction

It may be possible to negotiate a reduction in your rent with your landlord. Whatever you agree with your landlord, you should get it confirmed in writing so there can be no confusion at a later stage.

Help with paying your rent

If you are having difficulties in paying your rent, you may be able to apply for Rent Supplement from your local Department  of Social Protection Representative (formerly Community Welfare Officer). This is a means tested payment available to people in the private rented sector who cannot afford to pay their rent.

If you are given notice due to rent arrears

If you fail to pay your rent in full when due, your tenancy may be at risk. There is now a two-stage process for this:

  1. You must be given written notice of the fact that you are in arrears
  2. If after 28 days, you have not paid the rent to your landlord you may be given a minimum of 28 days written notice of termination.


Special measures have been put in place for some tenants who are unable to pay their rent due to Covid related loss of income. These measures have been extended until 12th July 2021

To qualify for these protections you must, at or at any stage between 1st august 2020 and 12th July  2021:

Have been in receipt of Disability Benefit due to being temporarily out of work because you contracted Covid-19 or were a probable source of Covid-19 infection and your employer did not pay you


Have been in receipt of (or entitled to receive) the temporary wage subsidy or any other social welfare payment or State support paid because you lost your earnings due to Covid-19 (this includes things like the Pandemic Unemployment Payment, Rent Supplement and the Supplementary welfare Allowance)


Your tenancy is at risk.

If this is the case, there are specific additional protections that may apply to you.and to avail of the new measures, you need to send a Self Declaration form to both your landlord and the RTB, confirming that you are a 'relevant' person.(email to or post to PO Box 47, Clonakilty, County Cork.)


Contact Threshold for further assistance if you think you may be covered by these measures.

Regardless of the amount of rent arrears, a landlord cannot seize your goods to force repayment, forcibly remove you or your belongings from the property, change the locks or cut off your utilities. To do so constitutes an illegal eviction. If this happens, you should contact your local Threshold office immediately.

What to do

  • Don't ignore the matter, inform your landlord as soon as possible to attempt to find a solution
  • Clarify the precise amount owing
  • Negotiate a repayment plan; Threshold may be able to assist
  • Check to see if you are eligible for suppport such as rent supplement or HAP.

Further Information

  • The Money Advice and Budgeting Service provide advice on managing your finances and dealing with debt. Further information from:

To speak to an advisor call our FreePhone:

1800 454 454

Click here to email your query, or view advice centre locations →