How you can take further action


RTB Dispute Resolution Mechanism

If you are having a problem with your tenancy it is always preferable to try to resolve the problem informally through dialogue with your landlord or letting agent. Threshold may be able to assist you with this. If this is not possible you may be left with no option but to submit a dispute to the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). In submitting your case mediation is free whilst adjudication costs €15 if you apply online-or €25 for a paper application. Upon receipt, the RTB will process the application and notify you and the landlord/agent of the hearing date.

You can apply online by clicking here or alternatively download and complete the application form available on this page.


Investigation and Sanctions Unit

In addition to the dispute mechanism above, the RTB now has an Investigation and Sanctions Unit which is dedicated to investigating potential breaches by a landlord of the Rent Pressure Zone (RPZ) Rules, failure to register your tenancy, giving a false or misleading reason for ending your tenancy or not offering the property back to you within the required timeframe. 

To find out more about this or to make a compliant phone either 0818 776297 or 01 6753724 or email

 A person found guilty of a breach could be fined up to €15,000 and be held liable for costs of up to €15,000 . In addition the outcome will be published on the RTB webiste.

Click here for more on the Investigation and Sanctions Unit of the RTB.