Advice for students

Finding the right place to live is an important part of college life and there are several different options available for students who move away from home including:

  • Student on campus accommodation and student specific accommodation near colleges
  • Renting a property from a private landlord 
  • sharing with the  owner 'digs'


Student specific accommodation

There has been a significant increase in the provision of on campus and student specific accommodation recently and this could be a good stepping stone for students as they will be living with other students. Prices can be expensive but vary.

Student specific accommodation is covered by the normal landlord and tenant laws and, from July 2021 in most cases, there is a limit as to how much a student can be asked to pay as a deposit and rent in advance-equivalent of two months rent. 

Renting from a private landlord

There is huge demand for private rented accommodation and due to a lack of supply it may be difficult to secure and due to a lack of supply rents can be high. You should start looking as soon as possible, but more importantly, do not rush out and take the first place available. When renting from a private landlord your tenancy should be registered with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).Contact your student support services or Threshold if a problem arises and you can also refer the matter to the RTB.

For more on your rights as a student renter click here


Sharing with the owner 'digs'

This is often popular with students however the normal landlord and tenant laws do not apply so it is always best to get some form of written agreement on the terms and conditions such as length of stay,rent and bills, guest visitors,house rules and notice requirements.