Rent supplement

Rent Supplement

Rent Supplement is being replaced as a long-term housing support with the roll out of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP). Rent supplement will continue to apply but as a short-term measure for temporary situations such as recently losing your job.

Rent Supplement

If you are  currently in receipt of rent supplement  your rent cannot be above set limits depending on your household size and where you are living which can be found by clicking here


Payments Above Existing Rent Caps

Tenancy Protection Service (TPS)

Where you are in receipt of rent supplement and facing a rent increase, the Tenancy Protection Service (TPS) may be able to apply for an enhanced payment over existing rent caps if it will keep you in your home and prevent you from becoming homeless.

The TPS can seek an enhanced payment through a Protocol agreement with Department of Social Protection if you live in the following areas:

  • Dublin and the commuter counties of Kildare, Meath and Wicklow
  • Cork City and its environs
  • Galway, Mayo and Roscommon 

For more information  click here

Article 38

If you live outside of the areas above or you have to leave your current rent accommodation and find alternative private rented accommodation, your Department of Social Protection Representative can also exercise their discretion and make a payment above the existing rent caps through ‘Article 38’. For more information and assistance with this contact your nearest Threshold advice centre.






What to do

Contact your Department of Social Protection's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) at your local health centre. They can inform you what the Maximum Rent Level (Rent Cap) is for some-one in your circumstances.